Monday, April 06, 2009

London and the US. 9

Networking

- "Have we met?"

That was and is the most practical way to initiate networking on a given event of your field. Especially if your self-confidence is high and your skills valuable. And you assume it natural that you should meet everyone else attending the same event as you. I guess I would have heard that line quite a few times if I had attended all the gatherings of this particular event and stayed in one of its HQ hotels (Hilton, Sheraton or Westin). And maybe people were also put off by the unfamiliar name - both my own and that of my affiliation. Accordingly, I only heard this sentence once; and it was in the bar queue, trying to get a beer on the opening reception at the convention centre.

He turned out to be one of the curators at the Library of Congress...and eventually guaranteed me an adequate help and facilities if my research would ever take that side of the world's library trail.

I still wonder what networking is all about.

2 comments:

H. Cardoso said...

Pois eu, garanto-te, não tenho nem talento nem paciência para esse networking. Eu prefiro dar à sola logo que possível e ir ver as vistas. Bem sei que se perde bastante com isso, mas enfim.

jaipas said...

é verdade meu caro! é o que qualquer pessoa normal tentará fazer...