Wednesday, March 04, 2009

London and the US. 1

Faux pas in Wiesbaden

En route to the city of London, I chanced upon a small and cozy party in the town of Wiesbaden. Here I met my old friend I. and naturally our conversation led us back to India and into my recent research about Indo-european stories. After a while, a woman sat close to us, casually eavesdropping on our lively debate as she talked to other germans. Eventually, I. asked me if I was looking forward to my stay in London. To which I replied "Well, I don't like english people in general, you know". I was going to elaborate and somehow justify the rather obnoxious statement but couldn't because the woman next to us burst out in a loud laughter that caught the attention of the whole affair of the party.
"Oh my God!" she said in tones of cockney. Athough she had been talking all the time in perfect german, she was a subject of her Majesty and just couldn't believe her ears.
What could I do? I stumbled upon an apology and tried to wriggle my way out of the hole surrounding me. To no avail - the english woman made it a point to let everyone know what had been the cause of her startle and indignation and I had to endure the ensuing dissaproval of the gathering untill retreating quietly back into my quarters.

4 comments:

H. Cardoso said...

E um problema comum, meu caro. Ate ja me vi no posto de receptor da interferencia. Mas enfim, mais vale rir do que lamentar.

Anonymous said...

Talvez seja comum, mas pode saír caro! Contudo, acho que se ouvisse um comenário recíproco, mantinha o "disfarce" durante mais algum tempo por curiosidade científica.

Unknown said...

come on, it was not so bad! this "subject of her Majesty" is one with a lot of humor. if you say things like that you have to live with a response. :)
everyone was laughing so you should do the same.

jaipas said...

It was another story to tell...not everything in this blog is written with scientific accuracy and impartiallity ;)rather, the way I choose to remember it. And I don't laugh just because I see all the other people doing it. I am very weary of such group behaviour! But still, I am happy to be the motive of amusement at a party...even if for the wrong reasons.